Autism: Surviving and Thriving

Fourteen years ago my youngest 3 boys were diagnosed with autism within a 9 month span. Devastation and grieving followed. Doctors gave me little or no hope, but they didn't know me very well. I refused to believe that my boys were doomed.

My boys are now young men, adults with autism. They are thriving, but every day presents its turmoil and challenges.

My family: husband Mike, sons Ryan 23 yr, Nicholas 21 yr, and Cameron 18 yr. (Ryan and Nick have autism; Cam has recovered from autism.) Our oldest sons, Michael 34 yr and Stuart 25 yr, moved out of the house. Ryan has also moved out, and is still working towards complete independence.

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Potential Job/Career Idea!!

Last year I found a group that meets monthly to help kids with autism transition into adulthood.  These meetings feature speakers or events.  Last night Ryan and I attended the meeting that debuted a family business looking to train and hire teens and young adults on the autism spectrum.

That is highly unusual.  Autism usually strikes fear is employers.  This business is SEEKING THEM OUT!

I was very hopeful, but also very suspicious.  My teens with autism want to be independent.  I want them independent.  With 90% of autistic adults unemployed, this could be such a blessing!  But who looks for autistic teens?  Well, we went to find out.

The speakers were from a family business--four generations in the business.  The fourth generation, the son, has Aspergers, which is a form of autism.  We heard the family history, and the success of the business.

These parents realized the success of their son was due to his symptoms of Aspergers--focusing for long periods of time, perfecting the details, wanting to work alone, etc.  I could see both of my sons fitting into this description easily.

I was quite impressed with the family's plan for their new business venture.  It covered everything from basic training to career opportunities.  My thoughts jumped:  job training; financial security; solid career; personal fulfillment--ideas that many parents worry about their kids with special needs.  This seemed to be an answer.

The only downside is that there is a cost.  Not that it's expensive.  But money is money.  Since this is a pilot program, there is no guarantee or track record of success.  And will my kids really like it?  Oh!  Moms can be so worrisome.

Well, Ryan and I are exploring the opportunities presented last night.  The timing may not be right, but this is at least an opportunity.  It's so important to have a path, a direction in life.  Even Ryan acknowledges that!  So, here's to some research and maybe a sale-able trade!

No comments:

Post a Comment