Autism: Surviving and Thriving

Fourteen years ago my youngest 3 boys were diagnosed with autism within a 9 month span. Devastation and grieving followed. Doctors gave me little or no hope, but they didn't know me very well. I refused to believe that my boys were doomed.

My boys are now young men, adults with autism. They are thriving, but every day presents its turmoil and challenges.

My family: husband Mike, sons Ryan 23 yr, Nicholas 21 yr, and Cameron 18 yr. (Ryan and Nick have autism; Cam has recovered from autism.) Our oldest sons, Michael 34 yr and Stuart 25 yr, moved out of the house. Ryan has also moved out, and is still working towards complete independence.

Sunday, September 8, 2013

To My Sons' Grandparents--On Grandparents Day

Thank God for grandparents!! They spoil our kids.  They give forbidden treats behind our backs.  They let the kiddos stay up late.  Grandmas might even bake gluten free cookies for them.

For parents with kids with autism, grandparents can be more than the mellow, nice version of the people who raised us.  Grandparents can offer wisdom and reprieve to parents with shaken nerves and overtaxed brains. 
My Mom

The flip side is that grandparents can give suggestions (or criticize) and cause more stress, although their intentions may have been good.  Grandparents may only see their grandkids with autism occasionally and not understand the intricacies of daily life.  Visits can be bittersweet.  Taking time to chat can be a hardship, but constant routine is necessary in the life of autism.

My Dad
In my case, my parents are about 40 miles away--far enough to breath, close enough to help.  They know most of the tasks and goals of my sons with autism.  This last summer they took on the task of helping the boys passing their drivers permit test.  Goal accomplished.  With LOTS of patience.

Mike's Mom
My husband's parents live in another state.  Their visits are fewer.  They can see more distinct progression or regression; something that we might miss.  They always want to know what's going on, to help the boys.  Sometimes it's hard to describe everything concisely, but we try. 

Mike and his Dad
Both sets of grandparents help at family gatherings and events.  Loud noises and strange people always stress out the boys, so having those extra eyes and hands of grandparents can help ease anxiety--both of the boys and me.

I'm very grateful to both sets of grandparents.  Happy Grandparents Day!!


No comments:

Post a Comment