Autism: Surviving and Thriving

Fourteen years ago my youngest 3 boys were diagnosed with autism within a 9 month span. Devastation and grieving followed. Doctors gave me little or no hope, but they didn't know me very well. I refused to believe that my boys were doomed.

My boys are now young men, adults with autism. They are thriving, but every day presents its turmoil and challenges.

My family: husband Mike, sons Ryan 23 yr, Nicholas 21 yr, and Cameron 18 yr. (Ryan and Nick have autism; Cam has recovered from autism.) Our oldest sons, Michael 34 yr and Stuart 25 yr, moved out of the house. Ryan has also moved out, and is still working towards complete independence.

Sunday, September 1, 2013

Another Chauffeur For Mom

Nick with Grandma
In late July Nicholas aced his driving permit test.  YEA.  He smiled and was very happy that he met his goal.  Nicholas didn't pass on the first attempt.  It took him a few tries.

The first two times he was devastated that he didn't pass.  He had studied for many hours, literally reading the book everywhere we went. I had to frequently tell him to leave the book in the car.

When Nicholas commits to something like this, he doesn't quit.  That can be quite scary.  Nicholas can work himself into an anxiety attack.  We have to watch him carefully.  We have seen Nick's face get red.  He has complained of chest pains and his heart racing.  We often have to stop Nick, so he will take a break.  He is a perfectionist.  Extreme focus.  I wouldn't be surprised if he thinks of the quote from the movie, Apollo 13, "Failure is not an option!"  Some day I can see him running a quality control center...

Anyways, three was the magic number.   He kept trying, and it paid off.  I love his smile!

I now have two teenagers learning how to drive.  My parents, my husband, and I have taken turns on the road with them.  It's quite an experience.  I don't need to worry about a cardio workout after some of these driving excursions.

My favorite part is that they have their permits.  We were never sure that they'd be able accomplish this, but they have.  Just goes to show we can never underestimate the potential of teens with autism.

My chauffeurs await!

No comments:

Post a Comment