Autism: Surviving and Thriving

Fourteen years ago my youngest 3 boys were diagnosed with autism within a 9 month span. Devastation and grieving followed. Doctors gave me little or no hope, but they didn't know me very well. I refused to believe that my boys were doomed.

My boys are now young men, adults with autism. They are thriving, but every day presents its turmoil and challenges.

My family: husband Mike, sons Ryan 23 yr, Nicholas 21 yr, and Cameron 18 yr. (Ryan and Nick have autism; Cam has recovered from autism.) Our oldest sons, Michael 34 yr and Stuart 25 yr, moved out of the house. Ryan has also moved out, and is still working towards complete independence.

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Autism At 18: Government Needs A Renewed Diagnosis

Government agencies and doctors claim that autism is not curable.  So why does Ryan have to be rediagnosed with autism at age 18.  He's now a legal adult, but how could that change his disability of autism?

Our previous state case manager said that he needs to be "redetermined" to be autistic, basically because the law says so.  I think otherwise.  I think it has to do with economics.  Money.

Not only does Ryan need to meet the criteria of autism, which is deficiencies in three of six specific categories.  Ryan must be "sufficiently deficient".  What does that mean?   No one could answer that.

We now have a new state case manager.  I get the impression that she is new to the whole system.  She is very polite and professional.  And new.  It takes time to develop rapport and trust.  That adds an extra dimension to this whole process.

The most frustrating part of this is that both case managers seemed to assume that I knew all about this "redetermination". My kids have been in the state system since 2007, and never has anyone ever said that they'd have to be retested.

This brings up so many questions as to what might happen to Ryan.  Just a few:  What will happen if he loses services and therapies?  What type of training might be available that Mike and I can afford?

Again, it comes down to prayers.  I pray that we are guided to help Ryan in the best path for him.  I pray that the psychologist and speech pathologist give appropriate tests to assess Ryan's true abilities.  I pray that Ryan does his best.

We now wait for the results of the tests.  Nothing like waiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment