Autism: Surviving and Thriving

Fourteen years ago my youngest 3 boys were diagnosed with autism within a 9 month span. Devastation and grieving followed. Doctors gave me little or no hope, but they didn't know me very well. I refused to believe that my boys were doomed.

My boys are now young men, adults with autism. They are thriving, but every day presents its turmoil and challenges.

My family: husband Mike, sons Ryan 23 yr, Nicholas 21 yr, and Cameron 18 yr. (Ryan and Nick have autism; Cam has recovered from autism.) Our oldest sons, Michael 34 yr and Stuart 25 yr, moved out of the house. Ryan has also moved out, and is still working towards complete independence.

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Valentines Day Dinner: Eat Your Heart Out!

So the boys are gluten free.  Unless I grind the grain at home, but that's another story.  We decided to make pizza out of homemade sourdough.

The shaping of the heart took some time since the dough wanted to stick to fingers.  Twas a good sensory test.  Tacky, sticky foods on  the boys' fingers used to be a trigger for meltdowns and tantrums.  I like to ensure the boys have not lost the progress made regarding their tactile issues, so they "get" to make meals like this occasionally.

Dough in oven at 350 F for 20 minutes.  Out pops pizza ready for sauce.

Yes, sauce is homemade too with homegrown basil and organic garlic. Now it really looks like a heart!

Of course, sausage and cheese are a must to complete pizza.  Nick liked cooking the sausage best.  He just had to "taste" the sausage to make sure it was well cooked.

It took about an hour to make and cook, and about 5 minutes to eat!

Happy Valentines Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment