Autism: Surviving and Thriving

Fourteen years ago my youngest 3 boys were diagnosed with autism within a 9 month span. Devastation and grieving followed. Doctors gave me little or no hope, but they didn't know me very well. I refused to believe that my boys were doomed.

My boys are now young men, adults with autism. They are thriving, but every day presents its turmoil and challenges.

My family: husband Mike, sons Ryan 23 yr, Nicholas 21 yr, and Cameron 18 yr. (Ryan and Nick have autism; Cam has recovered from autism.) Our oldest sons, Michael 34 yr and Stuart 25 yr, moved out of the house. Ryan has also moved out, and is still working towards complete independence.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

O Happy Day!

Ryan about to serve
In the midst of trying to resolve issues, there is a bright light.  AND did we celebrate.

Ryan and Nick played in their first tennis match on their high school tennis team.  Ryan tried cross country, but the endurance was too much.  I bet the desert heat didn't help during the summer either.  Nick did track and field in junior high, but his heart belonged to an event that he didn't get to do.

Mike and I have introduced various sports in the past.  Some were too expensive to continue.  Others just didn't capture the boys' interest.  So why tennis?

Nick returning a serve
My parents have played tennis for as long as I can remember.  I tried playing, but I spent more time running after the balls that went over the fence than playing on any court.  The boys had a few lessons from their grandparents when the boys were very little.  What made it stick this time?  I don't know.  I don't underestimate that the girls' team might have some influence.  The girls and boys' tennis teams practice at the same time.  Hmmm.

What I do know is this is a HUGE milestone for the boys.  Many years ago, the boys had several issues to overcome.  Nick couldn't stand to wear socks, let alone shoes.  As they developed autism, their gait became abnormal.  Walking and running were dangerous.  They lost their balance easily.  Ryan ran with his eyes closed.  I was told this was a sensory issue.

Ryan serving, Nick at the net
I became a soccer mom of therapy.  Days on end of traveling from school to therapies--physical and occupational therapies (among other therapies).  I made sure they had adaptive PE in school.  Years of therapy.  Miles of driving.  With no guarantee of improvement.  Just hope.

Today is hope fulfilled.
Coach W with Nick

Ryan and Nick played in a real sport at school. Their matches were even next to each other on the court. They played in the singles and doubles.  They were actually the doubles team.  The coach guided them at times.  Otherwise, they played.  On their own.

Those years of therapies have paid off.  My boys may have a hobby for life!  Priceless.

2 comments:

  1. That summer I worked with them paid off. I'm so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it did! You just never know what will work and won't.

    ReplyDelete