Autism: Surviving and Thriving

Fourteen years ago my youngest 3 boys were diagnosed with autism within a 9 month span. Devastation and grieving followed. Doctors gave me little or no hope, but they didn't know me very well. I refused to believe that my boys were doomed.

My boys are now young men, adults with autism. They are thriving, but every day presents its turmoil and challenges.

My family: husband Mike, sons Ryan 23 yr, Nicholas 21 yr, and Cameron 18 yr. (Ryan and Nick have autism; Cam has recovered from autism.) Our oldest sons, Michael 34 yr and Stuart 25 yr, moved out of the house. Ryan has also moved out, and is still working towards complete independence.

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Tennis Today: Oh--Schedule Change

Today was suppose to be another tennis match for Ryan and Nick--at their home school.  I dropped off the boys (because I have another boy to get to baseball practice).  As I was leaving, the coach waved for me to stop.  I drove closer to him, and rolled down the window.

"There's been a change," states Coach W.  "Today is an 'away' game. Yeah, the schedule says 'home', but..."

Change.  Sudden change.  Oh what fun for boys with autism.

I thanked the coach for letting me know.  I told him that I'd let the boys know.  So I pulled into a parking space and ran to the boys.

Although the rest of the team members were picking up the tennis balls, racquets, and gear, no one had told Ryan and Nick what was happening.  I told the boys briefly that the location of the game had changed.  I made sure one of them had his cell phone.

Ryan seemed to adapt quite easily.  Nick had a look of apprehension on his face. I told Nick not to worry.  I encouraged them to have fun and do their best.  I also said to stay together and call when they were back at their school.  They were the last to get on the bus, but they seemed at ease.

Another round of plans end in a "surprise".  I am bummed that I'll miss this match.  I'll find out how it all turns out when they get back. :)

2 comments:

  1. I can sure relate to how a little thing like that can be a huge issue for kids on the spectrum. ( My pet peeve is when it's a special needs teacher changing things who seems to have no clue that this could be a problem!) Glad it worked out--hopefully this was a learning opportunity to see that they can deal with the unexpected more easily than they thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life is always unpredictable. That is one of the most important lessons for kids with autism to learn. Tis one step at a time. I teach the boys to make a plan but be flexible. Easy to say, but hard to do.

      Delete