Autism: Surviving and Thriving

Fourteen years ago my youngest 3 boys were diagnosed with autism within a 9 month span. Devastation and grieving followed. Doctors gave me little or no hope, but they didn't know me very well. I refused to believe that my boys were doomed.

My boys are now young men, adults with autism. They are thriving, but every day presents its turmoil and challenges.

My family: husband Mike, sons Ryan 23 yr, Nicholas 21 yr, and Cameron 18 yr. (Ryan and Nick have autism; Cam has recovered from autism.) Our oldest sons, Michael 34 yr and Stuart 25 yr, moved out of the house. Ryan has also moved out, and is still working towards complete independence.

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Autism: Many Travel The Road

Autism:  unknown road full of twists and turns
Last week I received a call from my aunt about her grandson being recently diagnosed with autism.  She asked for some general information.

Two emotions go through me every time I receive a call like that.  The first emotion is sadness for the child and the parents, another family having to face the difficult road of autism.  The second emotion is hope, but where to begin, meaning what information can I quickly give my aunt?  There is so much.  It's a daunting task to quickly assess and surmise what information will do the most good.

Also, within the last weeks we had Ryan and Nick's IEP meetings.  (To my dear aunt, that stands for Individual Educational Program, which briefly is the meeting of parents and school staff to determine classes, goals, therapies, etc. for Ryan and Nick.)  Anyways, I was touched by what Nick's case manager said.  She said that her son has autism.  Although he isn't a high functioning as Nick, she hopes that her son will be independent enough one day to enjoy a hobby.

I am moved by both of these events.  One family is at the start of autism; they probably have no idea what is ahead of them.  Another family is traveling the road of autism; they have some idea of the future.

Then there is my family.  We've been on the road for years.  We must be having some success because others see our boys as "not that severe" or "high functioning" or "borderline".  My sons were not diagnosed with autism spectrum or high functioning autism.  They were diagnosed with autism.  They had many symptoms:  ticks, sensory issues, processing issues, dietary issues, etc.

After years of tons of therapies, life is improving.  It takes time, but the more done early on, the better chance for the boys to be independent.  Ten years ago, no one would have foreseen my boys as high functioning.  Even five years ago, things were tough.

To my aunt, I don't know if you remember on your wedding day, I was in tears at the reception.  It was autism related.  The boys did have some issues, and it was difficult to handle.  There was also miscommunication with my husband, which didn't help.  Being in public is a challenge, but doable with a lot of patience and prayer.

To my son's case manager, keep plugging along.  You just don't know what the potential is.  I've been asked when will I recognize that my boys' have hit their potential.  I answer, "The day I die."  Not to be morbid.  Tis a fact of motherhood.  I love my boys, and I'll stop at nothing to help them.  Of course, that also includes stepping back and letting them fall as well as pushing for that next slight step of independence.

There's no guarantee of anything in this life of autism.  Lots of hope and prayer, along with diligence, persistence, and patience.  When there is that step of progress, oh, what JOY we share! 

photo credit:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/geodesic/

No comments:

Post a Comment